As it was international women’s day on March 8th, the following Islington Comic Club featured a number of comics by and about women. It was pretty disappointing to see the tiny number of books by women and it prompted me to review my own reading, in which women authors are equally sparse.
Shaenon K. Garrity has actually written a whole short story on this theme, well, women in gaming rather than comics, The Perils of the Lady Gamer. I highly recomend it (and it’s quite short, you can read it in five minutes).
This has prompted me to list all the comics I know by woman authors, I recomend all of these.
- Narbonic by Shaenon K. Garrity. The hapless workers in a lab run by an evil mad scientist.
- Skin horse by Shaenon K. Garrity and Geoffrey Wells
- Tamora Drew and Gemma Bovary by Posy Simmons, a retelling of Far from the Madding Crowd and Madame Bovary.
- Agatha Heterdyne Girl Genius by Kaja and Phil Foglio.
- Get Medieval by Irony-Chan
- Anya’s Ghost by Vera Brosgol, she also has a good short story free to read here, What Were you raised by Wolves?
- Does Saga count? Written by Brian Vaughan, it’s drawn by Fiona Staples and she has co-author credit. Her art is great, almost every single panel could be a snap shot that sums up everything you need to know about that character.
Is that really it? I’m going to have to go through the list of what I’ve read. I’ll add more if there is more.